Dissolution of Marriage

There is often some confusion about the legal term “dissolution of marriage.” This confusion comes about because in many states, dissolution is just another way of saying divorce. However, in Ohio, particularly Wadsworth and Medina, dissolution of marriage has a different meaning.

In Medina and Wadsworth, as well as other locales in Ohio, a dissolution of marriage is an alternative to traditional divorce proceedings. It is based on statutory law and it involves both parties (husband and wife) to agree on certain issues. These issues often involve such things as child custody, spousal support, parental rights (including visitation rights), property division, and so on.

The document used to record these issues and the agreed resolutions is called a separation agreement. Medina and Wadsworth couples who are seeking a dissolution of marriage will file this document (or have an attorney file it) with the court. The separation agreement, along with any other required forms, will be used by the court to issue its decree on the matter.

It is important for Wadsworth and Medina couples to understand that all of the forms that are submitted to the court must be filled out correctly. Any mistakes on them and you can expect a delay in the process.

Once the forms are filed with the court, the court will usually set a petition hearing date that can be anywhere from about 45 to 90 days after the filing. During this court hearing, the judge will often ask each person a series of questions which must be answered truthfully. If all goes well, the marriage will be dissolved.

So, do you need a family law attorney to file these documents?

The short answer is no, but do keep in mind that working with an experienced attorney is often the best course of action as he or she can offer advice and guidance, as well as negotiate for you if needed. Many legal professionals who handle marriage dissolution cases will offer free consultations so you can discuss your needs before making any decision.

Disclaimer: This information is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this page should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Please consult an attorney for specific case information.